Landulpho Alves (RLAM)
In the beginning, a farm bathed by the waters of the Mataripe River, an inlet of the Bay of All Saints. It used to be called Porto Port Barreto, because it belonged to a farmer named Horácio Sá Barreto Lemos and, in the past, banana plantations covered his land. One day, the equipment began to arrive: huge metal tanks, towers and pipelines. They came by train, ferries, and barges and even on sleds improvised with tubes pulled by tractors. With the machines, came the men. People from all over Brazil and abroad: United States, Britain, France, Germany, Poland, and Italy. The people of the Recôncavo Baiano - used to dealing with farming, fishing and planting sugarcane - would soon learn a new craft: refining oil.
Thus, they helped build the unit, which went on stream on September 17, 1950, even before Petrobras was established, and was called the Refinaria Nacional do Petróleo (National Oil Refinery). Back then, people would go to the streets shouting "The oil is ours", denouncing the foreign interests in the exploitation of the black gold. Meanwhile, oil production in Candeias drove the National Petroleum Board (NPB), a federal agency, to invest in the region. A new cycle of development began for the Bahia and Brazil when Refinaria Nacional went on stream. The memory of those pioneering days is a decisive chapter in our history.
The refinery started operating with a significant production for the day: 2,500 barrels per day, once and for all putting end to the belief that there was no oil in Brazilian soil. For nearly three decades, Landulpho Alves maintained Bahia as the only oil-producing state in Brazil, producing as much as 25% of the country's demand.
In 1953, with the creation of Petrobras, the refinery was merged into the newly created company and, in 1957, renamed in honor of the agronomist and politician from Bahia who fought for the cause of oil in Brazil.
- Total area: 6.5 km2
- 26 Process Units
- 31 Products
- 201 storage tanks
- 18 storage spheres
Capacity for 323,000 bbl/d (51,352 m3/d).
Petrochemical gases (propane, propylene and butane)
Fuel oils (industrial, thermal and bunker)
Markets it serves
It primarily serves the states of Bahia and Sergipe, in addition to other states in Northern and Northeastern Brazil. Some products are also exported to the United States, Argentina, and to European countries.